Landlord and Tenant Applications

Go to:
The Application Process
What is the Issue?

Before You Can Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board

In order for a tenant to submit an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) and for them to hear your case, you must either be a tenant or have given a rental deposit to a landlord.

In addition, an application can be filed by:

  1. a group of tenants;
  2. a former tenant; or
  3. a person or group of people who paid for a rental unit but did not move in.

You do not need a lawyer to apply to the LTB, but if you believe your issue is complicated, you should get legal advice before you file an application.

Video from the Landlord and Tenant Board website.

The Application Process

There are 4 steps that a tenant must follow to apply to the LTB, and each step is discussed below.

Step 1: Choose the correct application form

There are 11 different application forms that a tenant can choose from. You must know what matter you are bringing to the LTB in order to choose the correct form.

You can find the 11 issues and the correct form in the chart below.

Some application forms require you to pay a $45.00 fee when you file your application. Please see the chart to see if your form requires a fee.

If you do not see your issue listed, you should contact the LTB for help.

You can contact the LTB by telephone:

Toronto Line: 416-645-8080
Toll-free: 1-888-332-3234

Step 2: Fill out the correct application form 

You can find the necessary forms on the LTB's website.  They also provide instructions under each form on how to fill it out. 

Step 3: Get supporting documents

Some application forms tell you about supporting documents that must be attached to the application. You must include these documents, or the LTB will refuse your application form. 

Step 4: Submit the application to the Board

By mail or fax
If you are mailing or faxing documents, include the file number, if you have one. This way, the LTB knows which file the documents belong to. Send your application to the office below that is closest to the rental property.

In person at the LTB
You can visit one of the LTB offices below to get information from a customer service officer, file an application or get forms or brochures.

Hamilton - Southern Office
119 King Street West, 6th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y7
Fax: 905-521-7870 or 1-866-455-5255

Sudbury - Northern Office
199 Larch Street, Suite 301
Sudbury, Ontario P3E 5P9
Fax: 705-564-4118 or 1-866-410-1399

London - Southwestern Office
150 Dufferin Avenue, Suite 400
London, Ontario N6A 5N6
Fax: 519-679-7290 or 1-888-377-8813

Toronto East Office
2275 Midland Avenue, Unit 2
Toronto, Ontario M1P 3E7
Fax: 416-314-8649 or 1-888-377-8808

Mississauga - Central Office
3 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 520
Mississauga, Ontario L4Z 2G5
Fax: 905-279-7286 or 1-888-322-2841

Toronto North Office
47 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M2N 5X5
Fax: 416-314-9567

Ottawa - Eastern Office
255 Albert Street, 4th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6A9
Fax: 613-787-4024 or 1-888-377-8805

Toronto South Office
79 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 212
Toronto, Ontario M4T 1M6
Fax: 416-326-9838

In person at ServiceOntario (Filing only)
You can file an application in person at some ServiceOntario locations.

ServiceOntario staff cannot give you information about the law or LTB procedures, but they can accept documents. Do NOT mail or fax documents to a ServiceOntario location. If you are mailing or faxing documents, send them to one of the LTB offices listed above.

To find the ServiceOntario location nearest you that accepts LTB applications and documents, visit ServiceOntario’s Service Location Finder under “Housing and Property”.

If a fee is required along with your application, you must pay it when you file your application. It is important to remember to have this fee ready when you file.

If there is a $45.00 fee, you can pay it using cash, a money order, a certified cheque, a debit card (in most offices), Visa, MasterCard or American Express.

If you are submitting your application by fax, you must fill out the payment portion of the application form with your credit card number.

If you write a cheque, make it payable to The Minister of Finance. 

Back to top


What is the Issue? What Form do I Use? Fee?

My landlord has charged me an illegal rent or charge, and I want a rebate.

Form: Tenant Application for a Rebate

Form T1 $45.00

My landlord did not;

  1. use my rental deposit to credit my last month's rent, 
  2. return the rental deposit to me,
  3. pay me interest annually on my rent deposit, and I want a rebate.

Form: Tenant Application for a Rebate

Form T1 $45.00

My landlord has:

  1. changed my locks and I have not received a replacement key.
  2. illegally entered my unit.
  3. interfered with my reasonable enjoyment of my rental unit.
  4. harassed, coerced, or threatened me.
  5. discontinued or interfered with my care services, vital services, or food in a care home.

Form: Application about Tenant Rights

Form T2 Free

My landlord has:

  1. reduced or cancelled a service or facility, or
  2. not reduced my rent when there was a decrease in municipal taxes and charges.

Form: Tenant Application for a Rent Reduction

Form T3 $45.00

My landlord and I entered into an agreement to increase my rent above the Guideline, but the landlord did not do the work or provide the service agreed to.

Landlord did not comply with our agreement to increase the rent above the guideline amount.

Form: Tenant Application Landlord did not Comply with an Agreement to Increase the Rent Above the Guideline

Form T4 $45.00

My landlord gave me a Notice of Termination because:

  1. the landlord, or a member of the landlord's family or their caregiver wanted to move in.
  2. the purchaser, or a member of the purchaser's family or caregiver wanted to move in.
  3. the landlord was going to demolish, convert or do extensive repairs to the rental unit but this did not happen.

Form: Landlord Gave a Notice of Termination in Bad Faith

Form T5 Free

My landlord has not properly maintained or repaired my rental unit or the residential complex.

Form: Tenant Application About Maintenance

Form T6 $45.00

I want to know if the Residential Tenancy Act (RTA) applies to my rental unit or rental complex.

Form: Application About Whether the RTA applies

Form A1 $45.00

My landlord has not allowed me to:

  1. sublet my rental unit to somebody else.
  2. assign my mobile home park site to someone who wants to purchase my mobile home.

Form: Application About a Sublet or an Assignment

Form A2 $45.00

I have sublet my unit to somebody else, and that person has not left even though the sub-tenancy has ended.

Form: Application About a Sublet or an Assignment:

Form A2 $45.00

The Notice of Rent Reduction sent by the municipality was wrong.

Form: Application to Vary the Amount of a Rent Reduction

Form A4 $45.00

Back to top

< Back to Overview          Continue to Getting Ready >

Tribunal Number: