Human Rights Further Steps

What Happens Next?

After the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario hearing, the adjudicator will either deny the remedy you seek, grant the remedy you seek or grant some but not all of the remedies you seek.

The HRTO’s orders must be complied with. If your remedy is granted, but you are concerned that it may not be followed, you can seek a court order. The decision may be registered with the Superior Court of Justice of Ontario. Once registered, there are ways that an uncooperative respondent can be made to follow the order.

You cannot appeal an HRTO decision, but you can ask for a reconsideration of the decision in some cases.

You may also apply to the Divisional Court for judicial review of the decision. Before taking this step, you should consult a lawyer.

Ombudsman Ontario

The Ombudsman does not have the power to overturn decisions or change tribunal decisions, but if you believe an administrative tribunal treated you unfairly you can make a formal complaint with the Ombudsman.  If the Ombudsman agrees, he can make recommendations to the tribunal to address the problem, and he can also make recommendations about government legislation, policies or programs.  For more information on the powers of the Ombudsman over tribunals, go to: Ombudsman Ontario.

< Back to Hearing Process

Tribunal Number: